Wednesday, 7 October 2015

On Our Book Shelf: The Other Side Of The World, Stephanie Bishop

I've done a lot of things in the spirit of the moment, even things I wouldn't normally agree to because I'm tired, not thinking straight, have baby brain (this is how my daughter was named) you know those decisions that you don't want to "discuss" with your other half anymore so you just agree to whatever they want because you simply don't have the energy to fight about it.
This is exactly what Charlotte does, after he insists they should move from the home she loves in England all the way to Australia after seeing a brochure which promises a world of possibilities all the way across the world.




Charlotte is an exhausted mother of two young children and makes a rash decision and agrees to move. I really felt the sadness she had packing up her belongings, selling precious things they couldn't take and wanting nothing more just to stay. They board the ship to Australia and you can feel the tears well not only in her eyes but also in your own as you read of Charlotte's heartbreak. 

Leaving your home, your family and your support system would be probably one of the hardest things to do especially with young children. When they arrive in Australia it's like they are on a different planet, it's hot, too hot.

Inspired by the story of her own Grandparent's I really felt for Charlotte's story. The longing for home, the things you do for family and how hard it must have been to make those migrations from England. My own Grandfather got on a boat from England to New Zealand on his own when he was barely a teenager and made a life for himself in New Zealand!

I really enjoyed this read, it's been a long time since a book has drawn me in emotionally and I have been able to relate so closely to a character as I did with Charlotte. 

1 comment:

  1. There are lot's of tips in your blog. Your blog is really brilliant and very informative.

    kimera

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2015 Crazy Mother Crafter By Robin Ronowicz
| Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates